Re: Using Thunderbird (or other email clients) with Office 365 servers

  • Subject: Re: Using Thunderbird (or other email clients) with Office 365 servers
  • From: James Lockie <bjlockie [ at ] lockie [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 17:42:56 +0000 (UTC)
I don't think pop and imap have to be enabled on the MS software.
They don't need to block the port, the software might not listen.

On February 26, 2019 12:37:56 PM "Ian! D. Allen" <idallen [ at ] idallen [ dot ] ca> wrote:

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 09:31:06AM -0500, J C Nash wrote:
I've been trying to get a connection from TBird to the uOttawa Office 365 setup.
So far:
- tried IMAP -- after query have been told uOttawa has decided to block IMAP and POP.

I'm curious about the above statement, since I use submission/POP3 to
Algonquin College for my "alleni [ at ] algonquincollege [ dot ] com" email and the
domain name I use is a generic Microsoft domain both ways.  uOttawa can't
block POP3/IMAP since they can't block the port on the Microsoft domain,
but maybe they can disallow authentication once connected?  (But then
how does "Exchange" authenticate?)

To send College email I (using postfix) connect to the "submission"
port (597) at outlook.office365.com and log in using my Algonquin
email address.  I gather uOttawa won't let you log in?  The "From:"
field on any email I send has to match my Algonquin email address or
else the message is rejected.  Whatever name text I use on the From:
line is replaced with the College standard "Ian Allen".

To receive email (using fetchmail) I connect to the POP3 port at
outlook.office365.com and log in using my Algonquin email address.
I gather uOttawa won't let you log in?

Note that my fallback is to reset on NCF, with uottawa forwarding.

Yes, when Algonquin used in-house email and blocked POP3/IMAP, I used
to forward all Algonquin email to another machine that did allow POP3.
Once Algonquin moved to Office 365, POP3 came with it, so I stopped
forwarding.  Have you tried POP3 to outlook.office365.com ?

I used to send official College email from my usual mail host, but with
the "From:" line set to my College email address and the "Reply-to:"
line set to idallen [ at ] idallen [ dot ] ca.  That started going into spam folders
this month, so I started using the College "submission" port instead.

I use a "mutt" send-hook to rewrite my "From:" address whenever any
recipients are at the College, and a postfix transport map to send any
email destined to the College into the College submission port.