Re: rsync seems to hang when asked to update backup of large disk

  • Subject: Re: rsync seems to hang when asked to update backup of large disk
  • From: Alex Pilon <alp [ at ] alexpilon [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 12:35:11 -0500
On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 09:33:29AM -0500, tf [ at ] greenbullfrog [ dot ] com wrote:
> As hinted-at in the post from Raj, the modern-day partition utility is
> parted (cli). The GUI equivalent is gparted. You can query your drive with:

Pardon me, but how is parted more “modern”? Can you explain? I'm not
sure that's what Raj said or meant, though, though Raj ought have the
right to speak for thyself.

> On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 12:05:41PM -0500, Raj wrote:
>> Most modern drives now are 4k physical
>> sectors, using 512 is going to result in reduced performance + life, so you
>> want to reformat to 4k as soon as possible.  It was also necessary to align
>> to the 4k boundary, but I believe fdisk/gparted does it automatically now

Unless you're on some terribly out of date version of util-linux¹, like
used to be shipped forever in some older version of CentOS, RHEL,
Ubuntu, Debian, etc., fdisk is usable, shipped by default, correct, and
includes things not in parted like protected and hybrid MBR
manipulation, partition table dumping to file, partition renumbering²,
etc.

It's also more “upstream”.

The issue at hand was not the tool, just understanding what the output
meant.

Regards,

Alex Pilon

¹: Where's my coloured dmesg -H? Where are all the fields for
   blkid/lsblk?
²: Yes, some OEM installs are weird. Proceed at own risk in case they
   didn't just use PART/FS UUIDs.