Re: rsync seems to hang when asked to update backup of large disk

  • Subject: Re: rsync seems to hang when asked to update backup of large disk
  • From: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2019 21:49:40 -0500
On 2019-01-06 17:49, J C Nash wrote:
> The title says it. I have rsync set up to run from the Double Commander 2 pane file
> manager. If I select parallel directories of modest size, rsync runs fine. (There are
> very few or no updates. I'm just trying to ensure all is up to date.)
>
> However if I choose a high level directory on each side, it goes for a while then seems to
> just hang.

Are you able to "strace -p <pid>" on that process (on each machine if over ssh)
to see if it is actually hung or doing something potentially useful?

> I'm wondering if I've overflowed some sort of index or buffer. Suggestions?
>
> I don't mind if it gives me a warning and stops. Then I can simply use smaller chunks.
> However, no message and not stopping is a problem.
>
> Best, JN

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\             <hpv.tricolour.ca>
<www.TriColour.ca>                 --  \___   o \@      @        Ride yer bike!