Re: rsync seems to hang when asked to update backup of large disk

My script uses the -auv flags, so I see stuff going on. It was when this stopped
for a very long time at a point where I did not expect that I though it had hung.

I ran things again, though from a terminal, and when it seemed to hang ran
strace -p <number>
and could see things going on (no copy, just check and compare). And eventually it
terminated normally after an hour or so. Actually I went to bed, but could see steady
progression through the directory tree, since my backups are dated by year and month.

Why I did not see this in the rsync script output I don't know (my Double Commander
icon opens a terminal -- I like to have progress indicated).  Have not
nailed down precisely why strace shows activity but rsync does not, and suspect
I'll need to delve into details of the code (I may end up having to give a talk),
but it seems that rsync is working. It is also possible, as suggested by (I think)
Alex, that the disk or controllers could be flakey, though the target disk is only
a few months old. Both source and target are USB connected, which is another possible
point to investigate.

Thanks to all who responded so quickly. And I'll have to remember strace. Not a
command I've used before.

Best, JN