Re: rsync seems to hang when asked to update backup of large disk

  • Subject: Re: rsync seems to hang when asked to update backup of large disk
  • From: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2019 21:52:09 -0500
On 2019-01-06 20:09, Peter Sj??berg wrote:
> On 2019-01-06 5:49 p.m., J C Nash wrote:
> > The title says it. I have rsync set up to run from the Double Commander 2 pane file
> > manager. If I select parallel directories of modest size, rsync runs fine. (There are
> > very few or no updates. I'm just trying to ensure all is up to date.)
> >
> > However if I choose a high level directory on each side, it goes for a while then seems to
> > just hang.
> >
> > I'm wondering if I've overflowed some sort of index or buffer. Suggestions?
>
> Copy huge directories has never been a problem for me as long as space
> is available. I routinely copy between two NAS servers (old/current and
> 2BE) and there it can be several million files and >2TB of data to copy.
> This works fine both for the initial copy and subsequent
> refresh/updates, no problem there. Now this is done under Centos6/7 on
> servers with 16/32GB of memory so if you try something similar on a
> 512MB system you might have an issue.

I routinely rsync 2GB filesystems without any trouble, but these machines generally both have at least 12GB RAM (that might mostly be hogged by a hungry browser on at least one end).

> One thing that causes hangs for me (and been an itch for a long time) is
> when I copy a something and the destination runs out of space. Then it
> just hangs and easiest fix is to kill it on both sides, fix space on
> destination and start over.

I usually get an informative error rather than a hang.

> /ps

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\             <hpv.tricolour.ca>
<www.TriColour.ca>                 --  \___   o \@      @        Ride yer bike!