Re: [OCLUG-Tech] does anyone still use "dump" for backups these days?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] does anyone still use "dump" for backups these days?
  • From: Spencer Cheng <scheng [ at ] aotera [ dot ] org>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 14:28:02 -0500
Not very good for long term storage. Specific type of DVD media is more or less OK.

<http://adterrasperaspera.com/blog/2006/10/30/how-to-choose-cddvd-archival-media/ <http://adterrasperaspera.com/blog/2006/10/30/how-to-choose-cddvd-archival-media/>>

In general the problem is that of obsolescence, the BBC Doomsday Book project was plagued by that. Will there be a mean to reading your media in another 20 years? 30 years? 50 years?

I have given up on DVD as storage. I use RAID-1 ZFS volumes which are scrubbed regularly to look for data error. Note RAID-5 in general is NOT recommended for anything that is valuable or a master copy. RAID-5 rebuild is too prone to catastrophic failure.

In general, you will have to do regular transcription of the data to successively newer generations of technology over time.

Regards
Spencer