Re: [OCLUG-Tech] asterix + pots + raspberry pi = good ?

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 14:19:43 -0400
Bill Strosberg <oclug [ at ] strosberg [ dot ] com> wrote:

> I'm no telephony expert by any chance but I would think a Pi might
> not have enough horsepower to handle things - I run things on a quad
> core A7 box with a couple different VMs under VirtualBox. Everything
> here just runs without complaint.

I would be interested in knowing a definitive answer to this.  The
RPi-3 is a quad-core ARM at 1.2GHz, which I don't think is much worse than
my first Asterisk box.  If the VoIP part is only over a LAN and you can
use ulaw encoding, then there's almost no CPU overhead to do the codecs
and it might just work.

This web site: http://www.raspberry-asterisk.org/faq/#performance
says:

"In a typical setup with RasPBX, 10 concurrent calls are possible on a
Pi 1. This is also the case for conferences, meaning 10 participants
can join a conference. More than 10 calls do work, but audio quality
decreases considerably with every additional call."

and I'm sure the Pi 3 is way better than a Pi 1.

Regards,

Dianne.