Re: [OCLUG-Tech] asterix + pots + raspberry pi = good ?

On 2017-09-25 2:03 PM, Peter Sjöberg wrote:
I guess it should work but never been playing with asterisk,voip or so
I'm asking for an over all opinion.

Customer has 3 POTS to an old Talkswitch ct.ts001 pbx and from that it
then goes over intranet to a pile of voip phones (talkswitch TS-350i).
The system has started to act up a bit (it cut out incoming sound for
all phones) and I'm looking at options.

Assuming I can't figure out what's wrong with the current one I'm
thinking it might be time to replace it and then the obvious choice (to
me - not to fortinet) is asterisk on a rpi.
30 sec google and it should be possible. The option of dropping the pots
and going 100% voip is not available - long term contract with Bell so
another 30 sec search and I found that linksys PAP2 could be used to
make the pots available to rpi/asterisk.

Q: Is this a path that sounds good ?
I hope that asterisk can talk to the talkswitch phones or could that be
some issue ?
Is PAP2 the way to go or is it some other one better ?
Anything to watch out for ?

I already have a rpi there but instead of adding asterisk to it I would
add another rpi to not mix functions to much, or is that overkill ?

I'm no telephony expert by any chance but I would think a Pi might not have enough horsepower to handle things - I run things on a quad core A7 box with a couple different VMs under VirtualBox. Everything here just runs without complaint.

I've got a couple different ATA adapters (Digium, Cisco ) handling different connections from internal POTS phones to VOIP externally. I've been very happy with Grandstream VOIP phones for office duty as well.

--
Bill