Re: [OCLUG-Tech] OpenStack use case in NCR

WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU MEAN BY “CLOUD”?

THE “REMAINING”? DEFINE WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR!

Basically what we have now is an implementation of VMware Automation
Center.

What we are looking for is something that has the same or close to the same
functionality of vmware automation center without the high cost of vmware
licensing.

We have CISCO and HP blade servers with ESXi, in several pods across 3
datacenters located in 3 different cities, this we will not change.

In a nutshell we need a product that will enable clients in multiple
locations to log into a web portal answer a few questions ie type of server
(DB, APP, WEB….) size required, project name, dept name…..
From the answers to these question the product must deploy a vm in the
appropriate datacenter and appropriate pod within one of 3 datacenters, it
then assigns a name based on the question answered, assigns a random
number, creates an object in the appropriate OU in AD, creates user
accounts and assign access to server, registers with DNS and get an IP from
the IPAM appliance.  We are currently using automation center with
orchestrator to accomplish this and it works well.

We are not looking for a “how to do this”, we are looking for someone
who has already implemented this type of setup so that we may get feedback
on the pros and cons.

 Quoting Alex Pilon <alp [ at ] alexpilon [ dot ] ca>:

What do you mean by “NCR”?

National Capital Region - in short Ottawa / Gatineau / Outaouais