Re: [OCLUG-Tech] trying to get my new ASUS laptop to see a M.2 SSD drive

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] trying to get my new ASUS laptop to see a M.2 SSD drive
  • From: James <bjlockie [ at ] lockie [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 19:22:07 -0500

On 2016-01-19 08:54 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
Quoting Spencer Cheng <scheng [ at ] aotera [ dot ] org>:

On Jan 19, 2016, at 7:51, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca> wrote:

arrrggghhh ... never mind, spencer cheng asked the right question, as in
what interface it uses. the laptop has PCIe slots, but the SSD uses a
SATA III interface. can't believe i didn't notice that, but i'm also
irked with where i bought this because i bought both the laptop and the
SSD drive at the same time and *specifically* said i wanted to put
that drive in that laptop, and no one warned me off. grrrrrr ...

Let me elaborate slightly. M.2 SSDs has 2 different interfaces: PCIe and SATA. The mechanical interface is the same (not sure about the electrical interface) but the SSD protocol/controllers are different.

I was surprised that Robert’s laptop has PCIe SSDs as they are still fairly rare.

  if this list allows attachments, i attached a pic. what *is* the max
size of attachments on this list?
I think attachments can be up to 0 bytes. :-)