[OCLUG-Tech] trying to get my new ASUS laptop to see a M.2 SSD drive

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] trying to get my new ASUS laptop to see a M.2 SSD drive
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 07:13:24 -0500
  (i've asked about this on the fedora list, but i figured i'd check out
the local expertise as well to see if someone can supply some advice.)

  i just bought a new ASUS laptop:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_1199&item_id=088275

and a 480G ADATA M.2-format SSD drive:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1229_1296&item_id=073365

i've installed and updated fedora 23 on this box and, for the most part,
things are working, but i've started tracking current issues here:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/F23_on_ASUS_G752VL

my current concern is the first point -- that fedora can't see the
SSD drive. it doesn't show up in the output of "lsblk", i see nothing
about it via "dmesg" ... nothing. in fact, it's not even visible in
the BIOS.

  it's inserted in one of the two slots in the back clearly labelled
"PCIe". and it's one thing for linux not to be able to see it, but
it's more worrying that i see no mention of it at all in the BIOS.
anyone have experience with something like this? suggestions as to
what i should be trying? thanks muchly.

rday