Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how to format a USB drive for windows to get at an ISO image?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how to format a USB drive for windows to get at an ISO image?
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 04:38:14 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 6 Jan 2016, James wrote:

> On 2016-01-06 05:06 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Wed, 6 Jan 2016, Shawn H Corey wrote:

> > > Usually, I use `gparted`. It's a graphical disk partitioner and
> > > formatter. Downloadable as a package in most distros.
> > >
> > > http://gparted.org/
> >    apparently, there's something more subtle going on. i'm using a
> > hand-rolled kernel of my own, using fedora's .config as a starting
> > point. and that's the one that's failing mysteriously.
> >
> >    i reboot to the official fedora kernel, and everything is cool. but
> > i have no idea why. all the appropriate loadable modules are there,
> > i've configured in support for all MS filesystem types, etc.
> >
> >    something weird happening here.
> >
> > rday

> What is the error?
> So it boots if you put the official kernel on the USB?
> Maybe you have something as a module that needs to be compiled in.

  the failure is simply a failure to automount the NTFS filesystem on
the USB drive on insertion. i configured and built my new kernel based
off of the standard RH kernel and config file, and i tried as much as
possible to incorporate every feature and loadable module in the
original, but auto-mounting under the new kernel doesn't work.

  if i return to the official RH fedora kernel, no problem. i *seem*
to have all the proper modules selected and built and ready to go.
it's just a little puzzling and i'm going to keep poking around.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca