Re: [OCLUG-Tech] still more dev kits to give away to good homes

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] still more dev kits to give away to good homes
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 07:20:45 -0400 (EDT)
  sorry for the delay, so let's finally address this ...

On Fri, 29 May 2015, Justin R wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We spoke briefly of a good board with easily accessible sensor and
> servo interaction.  You recommended the Galileo, and I agree it's
> best for my purposes:
>
> * Embedded GNU/Linux (thus Direct access to I/O via sysfs)
> * Native I2C support
> * Native PWM support
> * Toggleable 3.3v and 5v
>
> If you would like to sponsor my hobby project with one of your spare
> boards I would really appreciate it. My goal is to write a custom
> flight controller for a solar glider -- one that tracks its position
> and the changes in air currents in order to plot recommended flight
> paths to exploit local updrafts. I'm still in the phase of planning
> out hardware requirements; a development board would help out a lot
> as it is one of the more expensive parts.  My project will be bound
> to legal airspace in Ontario, will be insured under MAAC, and has no
> intention of aerial spying nor has any relationship with the
> military or any other organization.  It is strictly for my personal
> hobby and education.  If anything, it will be acting as a wide area
> weather probe, making all gathered data public. All software I write
> for it will be open license in the spirit of GNU GPL where possible.
>
> Let me know what you think.

  i have to admit, i'm not an authority on the intel galileo board, so
i'm assuming you already did the research. i have no problem passing
on the board, but perhaps others would like to weigh in on whether
there are other boards out there that are also good alternatives.

  i mostly deal with ARM-based dev kits, so outside of that, i still
have a lot to learn.

  anyone have any opinions on other boards that would fit this bill?
i'll still donate my galileo since i'm not using it.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca