Re: [OCLUG-Tech] anyone ever taken training from nobleprog?

On Sun, 10 May 2015, David Manouchehri wrote:

> I think there's a bit of irony in paying *anything* for Git related
> training. The man pages and this book pretty much cover everything
> better than any paid resource.
> https://git-scm.herokuapp.com/book/en/v2

  *cough* ahem *cough* ... well, as someone who actually teaches git
on occasion, i would respectfully disagree. :-) but your point is well
taken.

  aside: the biggest difficulty beginners have with git is wrapping
their head around the architecture of the object store, and how
*everything* is based on SHA-1 commit IDs. coming to grips with that
is one of those "aha" moments when everything clicks into place.

  if someone is coming from a centralized CVS environment, don't
underestimate the possible difficulty in wrapping one's head around a
*very* different way of doing things.

> That company is charging around ~$400/hr. I'm guessing their
> business model is to mostly do nothing, and then hope they find the
> occasional non-technical client who doesn't know any better. They
> hire contract teachers for their courses, so I'm guessing they pay
> them around ~$50/hr and pocket >$300/hr. Seems rather predatory to
> me, I would avoid even mentioning their URL or company name.

  i would agree. but i can't imagine even a *non*-technical client not
understanding the proper pricing of technical training. anyone who's
even moderately good at business already knows the appropriate range
of prices for training courses, and over $3000 for a single day of
intro instruction should have *anyone* saying, "whaaaaaa?"

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca