Re: [OCLUG-Tech] next meeting? and free wireless routers

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 10:21:21AM -0500, Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
> Good news!   I've been looking to replace my setup of hacked up aging
> WRT54GS/GL routers (ya, it's over 10 years old, high time to upgrade)...
>
> I'll have to pick up one and try.  Apparently new openwrt is a lot nicer
> than my ancient version too!
>
> Am I good to assume any of the Archer C7 I'ld find now is likely a v2
> model?

I get annoyed by chipset changes between various numbered versions of
a router.  For my next router, I was thinking of getting one that is
endorsed by the FSF as "Respects Your Freedom" (RYF Certified).  The
only one that currently has that certification seems to be:

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/free-software-wireless-n-broadband-router-gnu-linux-tpe-nwifirouter2

It might be worth supporting a company that explicitly wants to
respect your freedom, instead of one that happens to for the moment
depending on what chipset they could get inexpensively.