Re: [OCLUG-Tech] FREE local (Ottawa) Linux/embedded/driver/Yocto Project tutorials. Seriously.

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] FREE local (Ottawa) Linux/embedded/driver/Yocto Project tutorials. Seriously.
  • From: "Prof J C Nash (U30A)" <nashjc [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 13:25:09 -0400
To my mind, this is a highly suitable way for open-source tools and the
training to use them to be promoted/marketed. I've been to proprietary
"seminars" where the best part was the free cookies -- except losing the
extra sugar-weight was not fun. Open source SHOULD be about providing
value in all we do, even our promotional activities. And open source is
"marketed" by people getting to know each other and their capabilities.
This is a sensible way to do that.

My view of open source is that it is the economic philosophy leading to
everyone getting a bit more prosperous steadily, rather that a few
getting rich quickly.

Rob's msg suggests to me that I could offer 1-2 hour sessions on some
aspect of R (data analysis / graphics / computation). I'm sure other
folk would have like offerings. Perhaps we should think of a space for
"cards" telling what we're prepared to offer on the OCLUG site.

JN