Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Choosing a 64-bit Linux distro for my laptop

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Choosing a 64-bit Linux distro for my laptop
  • From: Alex Pilon <alp [ at ] alexpilon [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 08:04:49 -0400
On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 02:08:13PM -0400, Andrew Galloway wrote:
> I have a Broadcom wifi adapter in my old laptop and I have
> successfully install LXLE.  You may want to give that distro a look.

Why recommend a distro without knowing the card? Even then, Broadcom
card support varies. It's not a distro issue, but a kernel issue. Users
should stop looking at distributions, and look at the original software.

Let's get the PCI ID, then we can look at the kernel source, or some of
the wireless.kernel.org pages for Broadcom drivers,

    http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
    http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211

and only then can we make an informed decision.

LXLE is also a Ubuntu derivative, which means that they choose some odd
kernel for which upstream does not intend to provide long term support,
and then maintain their own patchset for it. They don't have to use
latest stable or newer—though it'd be nice, but it would be nice if they
wouldn't fragment development.

> Good afternoon, everyone. I have an older, not-exactly stock Dell Inspiron

Could you please quote correctly and not top-post?

Regards,

Alex Pilon