Re: [OCLUG-Tech] trying to install centos 6.5 on USB drive on UEFI-enabled laptop

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] trying to install centos 6.5 on USB drive on UEFI-enabled laptop
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 06:22:41 -0500 (EST)
  i'm still wading through alex pilon's stunningly detailed
explanation -- i know next to nothing about UEFI but i guess i'm
about to learn. :-)

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013, Mike Rosberg wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>  I have no experience booting Linux under UEFI but am interested in
> your experience as I await the arrival of a new Zenbook which I plan
> to dual-boot Win8 and likely Fedora 20.

  yes, i'll want to know how to do things like that as well, so we
should start collecting notes.

>  One thought that occurs to me after reading through your install
> process is that the installed USB drive will be unbootable following
> the OS install as it will be lacking a EFI System Partition.

  i thought that might be the case as well, but with only the target
USB drive inserted in the laptop, when i booted and stopped in the
BIOS, i had three possibilities under "Boot Override":

  * Windows Boot Manager ...
  * CentOS (Sony Storage Media 1.00)
  * UEFI: Sony Storage Media 1.00

so the sony USB drive apparently shows up as both a UEFI and non-UEFI
device, and i simply selected the non-UEFI choice, and it booted just
fine.

  i definitely have some reading to do. the wikipedia page looks
relatively readable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface

and if anyone has pointers to good intros to the topic, let's hear
them.

rday

p.s.  what's the story on the january OCLUG meeting? perhaps someone
can give a talk on UEFI? :-)

                        http://crashcourse.ca