Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Advise needed regarding Ubuntu upgrade

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Charles E. Nadeau <charles [ dot ] nadeau [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com
> wrote:

> Would it be possible to install Precise, from a DVD, on top of the actual
> Maverick install while preserving the content of /home, /etc and /var/log?
> i.e. without using "do-release-upgrade". Can I avoid another install from
> scratch?

Trying to upgrade without using do-release-upgrade is going to be nothing
but trouble. The problems you had with do-release-upgrade will likely be
exacerbated. A fresh install that preserves /home is easy. I don't know why
you would want to keep /var/log other then a backup. You likely don't want
to keep /etc except for a handful of files: smb.conf, exports, and
squid.conf. Old files in /etc could easily cause instability. Part of
do-release-upgrade is supposed to convert and delete specific files in /etc
that have changed.

I would try do-release-upgrade again but keep going to precise. Oneiric
could have been the problem. In your case I would unmount the 9TB of drives
and comment out the entries in /etc/fstab that mount those drives. Also
make sure that fstab uses UUID= instead of /dev/sda as the ordering of
drives in /dev has changed from kernel to kernel.

If that still doesn't work go for the fresh install. It will save time and
tears in the future. Copy /etc and your other configs to the 9TB drive so
that you can recreate the handful of important configs later. I would edit
the new configs by hand instead of copying the config files back, as some
of the default options have changed.

--
sg