Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how to boot from USB drive to install linux on ASUS ultrabook?

I picked up an asus laptop , and I am interested in dual-booting linux with
windows 8 as well. I was thinking of using Ubuntu, either 12.04 or 13.04
... it is a 64-bit capable laptop, but it doesn't advertise that much.

I will bcc some friends in case they have some advice as well, but
basically I would like to have a minimally tampered with windows 8, and to
be able to do most of my work on linux; I'm wondering if every time windows
8 would update, it might mess up my linux install.  When I say minimally
tampered windows 8, I mean I know it is horribly spying and so on, but I
don't want to disable all those features and then have lots of
applications, software, and services not work, although I would like to
minimize spying or interfering with my work (which sometimes is in the
sphere of activism).  Hopefully there is a happy balance I can reach.

I can start a new thread if that is best, but this thread sounded pretty
similar.

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Peter Rofner
<profner [ at ] richmondnursery [ dot ] com>wrote:

> If I recall correctly, the USB stick needs to have an EFI boot kernel or
> else it can't boot. I used the System Rescue CD image on a USB stick to
> boot EFI and install Gentoo on an Lenovo Helix and a Lenovo server and
> it recognized the stick automatically in EFI mode. Either that or change
> the BIOS back to MBR mode to boot a traditional non-EFI stick.
>
> It takes more fiddling to get EFI to boot, but it is pretty slick once
> it works. REFInd works good for dual-booting Windows and Linux via EFI.
>
> Peter
>
> On Sun, 2013-10-13 at 10:45 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 Oct 2013, Prof J C Nash (U30A) wrote:
> >
> > > Most ASUS laptops give boot choice if you hit ESC while splash is
> showing.  At
> > > least all my 5 do.
> >
> >   but all that does is dump me into the BIOS, and let me work my way
> > to the boot menu, where i can apparently "Create" a new boot entry,
> > but i have no idea what to add there -- the only example i see is this
> > long, incomprehensible string that looks like a device identifier, and
> > i don't know what to do from there.

*Michael Goguen*

My main email: MIchael [ dot ] Goguen [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com
twitter:              https://twitter.com/MichaelGoguen
activist blog:     http://inner5pac3.blogspot.ca
youtube:           http://www.youtube.com/user/MIchaelGoguen
personal blog:   http://michaelgoguen.blogspot.ca
rpg blog:           http://mems-memory.blogspot.ca

my online resume:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tuZqhImog5O-tWxzfBPXo7B1ikDSInWOW_6Pqj4d6Ls/edit
my linkedin profile:  http://lnkd.in/TpVyqP

*my personal cel*:             613-808-5840
*lanark ev house number:* 613-259-5026

* ... and this is a little bit about where I live*

Michael Goguen
2799 McDonald's Corners Rd.
Lanark, Ontario
K0G 1K0

Intro:
Sustainability Project - 7th Generation Initiative
http://www.SustainWellBeing.net

"The Challenge and the Goal" :
http://www.SustainWellBeing.net/challenge_and_goal.html
This explains the problem the project addresses and the direction in which
we seek solutions.

What is happening with the Eco-Village project:
For your information about the project:

The basic inspiration - "Where Will the Grandchildren Live; An Alternative
View of Retirement":
http://www.superaje.com/~sustain5/letter.html

An overview of building objectives:
http://www.SustainWellBeing.net/ecovillage.html