[OCLUG-Tech] how to boot from USB drive to install linux on ASUS ultrabook?

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] how to boot from USB drive to install linux on ASUS ultrabook?
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 08:12:17 -0400 (EDT)
  (kind of a windows+linux question, but here goes.) just handed a
spiffy new ASUS ultrabook to test set up for a linux class to teach in
a couple weeks, and my first thought was to simply install scientific
linux 6.4 on it, and let the owner re-install windows 8 on it once he
takes it back.

  first question -- this unit has no DVD drive so my first thought was
to just have students install off of USB drive but, for the life of
me, i can't figure out how to configure the BIOS to boot from USB. i
*think* what i'm after is being asked about here:

but i have *zero* experience with UEFI. i'm at the screen with the
option of "Add New Boot Option" but i have no idea what to enter
there to select the USB drive. thoughts?

  and if i can do that, how much grief will the original owner have
re-installing windows 8? if it's more than minimal, maybe i'll just go
with using virtualbox for this, at least for the first course. thanks
for any feedback.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca