Re: [OCLUG-Tech] what's the state of the art for linux (openwrt?) based wireless routers?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] what's the state of the art for linux (openwrt?) based wireless routers?
  • From: Alex Pilon <alp [ at ] alexpilon [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 14:45:44 -0400

On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 04:51:03PM +0000, Mike Hopper wrote:
> If he REALLY wants something to play with...why not a REAL router?

“Real” router? Like 32-cores of Xeon, 32GiB RAM, 8 NICs, each with 8
hardware queues and plenty of features to offload work to the card?

No. Just kidding. Those are for carrier-grade telephone switching, but
sitting around 0.5 load average in the lab. Not wireless anyway.

> Kits from this website are cheap(ish), solid, and you choose the
> OS:http://store.netgate.com/Desktop-Kits-C82.aspx(there are many more
> of these sites).

There's also the Soekris. Not exactly state-of-the-art (generic, good
quality SBCs that have been ought for a few years, or more depending on
the model). This one,

	http://soekris.com/products/net4826.html

is on sale too. He'd just have to get a mini-PCI wireless adapter.

There's also the RouterBOARDs. Don't bother with MicroTik firmware. It's
a heavily modified old version of Linux (I heard 2.4 but could be wrong,
and yes, there's still other carrier grade equipment running 2.4 out
there). It is not as amenable to hacking as just taking the stock Linux
source and compiling it yourself (yes, I know this wasn't about the
software). I'd encourage him to just `make nconfig`, and pay particular
attention to what's under net and drivers/net, if he still has anything
to learn.

> Just add a wireless AP or one of their add-on cards

Could also check out this.

	http://www.simplewifi.com/

> and you have a pretty nice router. Throw pfsense
> (http://www.pfsense.org/) on there and you can do much more than
> *-WRT.

Heh. Thought this was a Linux list. Not taking sides though… yet.

Did you mean more than the *WRT's custom interfaces allow you to do, or
more than Linux in general does? If the latter, what in particular?

> > and wants to install one of the common linux-based distros on it
> > (openwrt, dd-wrt, tomato, whatever).  […] price not that much of an
> > object, what he wants mostly is the opportunity to hack.

If you *really* want to hack, stay away from all the GUI and
abstractions, and just use ip6?tables, tc and the rest of iproute2,
ipset, etc., directly. They're fundamentally simple. At some point,
these abstractions just get in the way and haven't put a ‘nicer’ (or
not) interface around feature X, or are otherwise barely concealed
overhead.  I've never seen the worth of a GUI that just mangles some of
the concepts, and don't want HTTP or other similar running on my router.

Regards,

Alex Pilon