Re: [OCLUG-Tech] A New Linux Users Group

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] A New Linux Users Group
  • From: Rob Echlin <rob [ at ] echlin [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 06:58:45 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Rick,
I'm going to snip a lot and top-post.

First, I agree with most of what Rob Day says.
- focus
- structure
- schedule - but don't be quite as abrupt as Rob says, beacuse you want more speakers <g>

All those points are what ToastMasters taught me.
- Consider joining ToastMasters - they teach how to run meetings and groups - there is a local group in Pembroke - consider visiting the group at Atomic Energy, even if you don't join, as they are more time-constrained with a lunch meeting. This will demo how to end a meeting on time with stuff done. Deep Rikver probably still has one, too.

No one has mentioned ":Lightning talks". These allow even people with little presentation experience to talk for just a few minutes, generally 5 to 10.
Panel discussions also work well!

I will disagree with Rob, somewhat, about presentations vs. online tutorials. I think he is correct for deep technical dives done well - for most people, but the whole "learning styles" thing applies here, too. It's good to see a different take on something and be able to ask questions in person. New users also appreciate in-person talks.

We are struggling with the question of how to grow our own group. You can look at our board minutes to see some of our discussions.
http://wiki.oclug.on.ca/wiki/OclugBoardMeetings

Rob E

--
Rob Echlin, B. Eng.