Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Help recovering a (software-dead, not hardware dead) hard-drive

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Help recovering a (software-dead, not hardware dead) hard-drive
  • From: ed stuckems <edstuckems [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:52:05 -0500
On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Shawn H Corey <shawnhcorey [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com> wrote:
<snip>
> When you plug in the drive, does /dev/disk/ get a new entry?

Yes it does.  Actually, it gets 3 new entries.  Sorry, this is new
territory for me and I can't derive any insight from the new entries.
Maybe someone here can so I've copied them below

/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:1a.0-usb-0:1.2.1:1.0-scsi-0:0:0:0
/dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x5XXXXXXXXXXXXXf
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD10EADS-22M2B0_WD-XXXXXXXXXXXX

If I had to guess what this means, I'd have to guess that:
(1) the cable is properly connected because the first entry above
seems to indicate there are connections between usb subsystem and scsi
 subsystem.  I don't believe these would have been created if the
hardware didn't recognize the physical cable connection.
(2) the physical drive is detected.  The third entry is based on the
drive's serial number (blotted out because 1984 scared the crap out of
me ;-)

Now my question is, can I use any of these entries with something like
parted or mkfs?

(I think this was an excellent question!  I hope my responses lead somewhere.)

regards,
eds