Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Help recovering a (software-dead, not hardware dead) hard-drive

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Help recovering a (software-dead, not hardware dead) hard-drive
  • From: ed stuckems <edstuckems [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 09:34:12 -0500
On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Prof J C Nash (U30A) <nashjc [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca> wrote:
> I've noticed that my usb-SATA cables sometimes need to be checked
> (pulled apart and reconnected). It looks like

reconnected the cable and still nothing.

> fdisk -l
>
> isn't showing the device? Realize this may be a long shot.

actually "parted -s /dev/sd{a,b,c,d,e,f}" is failing to connect to the
device.  I've shied away from fdisk given that I eventually want to
work with a drive that's been formatted with a GUID Partition Table.
My understanding is that fdisk doesn't handle GPT formatted drives.

The drive is only about 2 years old and has hardly been used so don't
worry about long shots.  At this point I'll try anything to get it to
function again.

> JN
<snip>

regards,