Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Help recovering a (software-dead, not hardware dead) hard-drive

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Help recovering a (software-dead, not hardware dead) hard-drive
  • From: Bill Strosberg <oclug [ at ] strosberg [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 09:53:14 -0500
On 13-02-27 09:34 AM, ed stuckems wrote:
actually "parted -s /dev/sd{a,b,c,d,e,f}" is failing to connect to the
device.  I've shied away from fdisk given that I eventually want to
work with a drive that's been formatted with a GUID Partition Table.
My understanding is that fdisk doesn't handle GPT formatted drives.

The drive is only about 2 years old and has hardly been used so don't
worry about long shots.  At this point I'll try anything to get it to
function again.

Does the BIOS see the disk? If not, it is cabling or a low level disk problem. Reboot the system and bring up the BIOS setup screen. See if the disk appears. Try it in another box - to see if the BIOS sees it. If the other box does, it really sounds like cabling or connector problems.

If the disk doesn't appear, download and burn a bootable ISO disk image (Seatools/whatever) of the manufacturer's low level diagnosis/repair/warranty repair tool. Run it. If it sees the drive, do a long diagnostic/repair. It'll take hours. Once done, have it write the bad sectors to the disk and then do a low level format. It should now be seen by the BIOS and can be formatted. If it doesn't pass, has there been a SMART error triggered?

If there is a SMART error triggered you can probably get a warranty replacement for free if the drive is less than three years old.

If the disk doesn't appear in BIOS and the manufacturer's diagnostics don't find it, try to get an RMA number from the manufacturer's support dept. If they won't give you one, use the disk to keep papers from blowing away in the wind.

If it is a MAXTOR disk, get a ball peen hammer and swing it at your forehead for buying the piece of crap.

Basically with two computers, the manufacturer's diagnostic tools and the bad drive you should be able to figure out exactly what's up. Personally, I don't trust drives that report media errors even if completely recovered for one second.

--
Bill