[OCLUG-Tech] how to find speakers: was "more emphasis on online tutorials as opposed to meetings?"

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] how to find speakers: was "more emphasis on online tutorials as opposed to meetings?"
  • From: Rob Echlin <rob [ at ] echlin [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 12:46:44 -0800 (PST)
Hi Greg,
I re-read your email, and I would like to understand your suggestions better.

Top posting my conclusions <g>:
For all readers, not just Greg

- What have you been doing on open source software in the last month?
- Have you been talking to anyone who is doing neat stuff? Let me know!

Greg:

- Asking OCLUGGERS who are working on 'Open Stuff' works well, as you say.
- I don't talk to enough people to make that work all the time.
- Do you have other suggestions to make that work?
- Please call me at 613, 266 dash 8311

   (I can't hear it ring when I am on the bus, and I am sometimes

    in bad reception areas, like basements.)

> All this would suggest that the convenor, instead of asking for random
> volunteers, should be aware of what people are doing and/or documenting,
> and ask directly individuals to speak and to discuss.  It would work
> around the perception common of many doers that nobody else would be
> interested in what they do.

All the people at OCLUG that I know who have been responsible for

finding speakers prefer to ask directly, as you suggest.
The hard part is finding out what lots of people are doing.
Using social media upwards of two hours a day might help (IRC, FB, Twitter).

Do you do that?
Meeting lots of people informally is great for this, and also takes time.
Last year I found several speakers from other User Groups by visiting

groups about one night per week. I can't take that much time right now.
Do you have suggestions for learning what people are doing in Ottawa?

> Also the process would become more
> friendly to people who can only suggest topics for other people to
> present.

I think you mean that if I don't ask everyone with a topic suggestion

to present on it, I will get more suggestions?
I agree.

I will stop that.

> Finally, informal clouds of people who do things and people
> who read things and people who participate in other ways could submit
> suggestions feeling they are submitting suggestions not impositions.
Are you saying that all those people who don't think their current
work is interesting enough to talk about will volunteer because one of,
let's say, 40 suggestions, was sort of related to what they are doing?
I think it still comes down to people volunteering or being asked.
Or did I not understand you?

Many of the talks we have are from people volunteering.

For example, all three of the brilliant lightning talks at the Feb
meeting were from people who volunteered their own topic.
The speakers were people who have spoken here before, and
are confident of their ability to present ideas that people will
find interesting.
Everyone present seemed to enjoy the talks, and the after talk at the bar.

Rob

--
Rob Echlin, B. Eng.
613-266-8311 -  Ottawa, ON