Re: [OCLUG-Tech] IMAP woes continue

Started out as a Thunderbird 16.0.1 problem where sending would succeed
but copy to "Sent" spun wheels forever. This is a frequent issue on the
bug and help forums for Tbird, and I've tried lots of the suggested
remedies.

However, I note now that
1) it doesn't seem to happen on gmail (also IMAP)
2) on uOttawa it sometimes "works" fine, then locks up when copying msgs
from one folder to another. This on 2 different machines, both AMD64. One
runs Linux Mint 13 Mate Maya, the other Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS. For about 10
hours I thought it was the age of OS, but now Maya is locking too.
3) On both I tried Evolution and got nowhere. Claws on Mint also failed.
This is for uottawa. I even installed Tbird on Win7 on one machine and got
similar behaviour, though I must admit to not persisting very long.

I have tried checking with uO support that I have right settings. They
said Yes to IMAP on mailbox.uottawa.ca:993 with SSL/TLS and normal pw. But
I then noticed that this was settings for Ubuntu 10.04; the semi-auto
setup on Mint had set ...:143 and STARTTLS. Weird.

To get to the bottom of this, I think I need to have some tool that will
sniff the connection and see where things get stuck. My suspicion is that
uO has something set up so the timing of handshaking gets out of whack and
some step is missed. Moreover, I think I'll be farther ahead to figure out
the issue before I make a lot of noise with uOttawa. Also it could be some
sort of glitch or mis-setting in my system. Either way, it would be good
to sort out. Work arounds are not a good answer here, as there are many
nice features in Tbird that can save me a lot of sweaty effort.

Cheers, JN