Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Use of libreoffice to do high school work

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012, swfiua [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com wrote:

> No, the school does not provide MS Office.
>
> As others have noted, pdf is the way to go and most of the teachers that
> were insisting on .doc probably would not have noticed the difference.
>
> Just as a follow-up to the original posting.  I wrote an email on the
> subject to the school's principal.   He never replied.   My son has since
> graduated and does not want to bother chasing this up and I respect his
> wishes there.   He missed the honour roll by a fraction of 1% -- less than
> the number of marks deducted due to the formatting issues.
>
> John
>
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 1:23 PM, James <bjlockie [ at ] lockie [ dot ] ca> wrote:
>

> > > His teachers insist on assignments being handed in in .doc format.
> > Does the school provide MS Office?
> >
> > > Further, at least one of them will not even listen to his explanations of
> > > why formatting is messed up and won't look at the hard copy he has for
> > them
> > > which has everything just fine.   The end result is that he is getting
> > > marks deducted for using libreoffice.

  i'm curious ... what would happen if a gym teacher told his students
that they were *required* to wear, say, reebok footwear to class, as
opposed to the footwear of their choice.  isn't that sort of
equivalent to telling students they *must* invest in microsoft
software, or risk academic punishment?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca