Re: [OCLUG-Tech] help switching over to Linux

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Justin Richard <velusip [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com> wrote:

> On 15 July 2012 14:10, Dale Bennett <easydoesit45 [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com> wrote:
>

> Hello,
>
> Your ambition to use Linux is very well recieved here.  Reading about it is
> a great start, too.  There's no need to rush into installing it until you
> have a sense of what to expect.  I think that's where Rob is coming from --
> make backups and prepare first.  There are many useful, searchable terms in
> this mailing list to expand your reading material.  I certainly do not mean
> to discourage you, but I believe it is important to provide a fair
> warning:  Linux tends to suit the tinkerer.  Linux requires patience and
> enough curiousity to continue learning as long as you use it.

Not necessarily, it depends on the circumstances.

My 75 year old mother has been using Linux for 5 years.

All she needs is a browser, gmail and solitaire.

Maintenance involves me, or one of my my children, updating for her
whenever we are there.  Most people could handle this themselves.

Coincidentally, It has been 5 years since I have had to deal with a locked
up windows box and a frustrated mother.  I wish I could get her to run the
updates, but that's not going to happen.  At least that can be done on our
schedule and not at the beck and call of yet another windows virus.

A windows power user would have more trouble with Linux than my mother does.

--
"*A child is a person who can't understand why someone would give away a
perfectly good kitten.*"