Re: [OCLUG-Tech] help switching over to Linux

Charles raises a good question. If you use any special applications, especially games or
things like that, then it is more difficult to switch to Linux.

If you are doing "ordinary" things:
   - email
   - web
   - simple office documents, including Word and Excel from other people as long as
     the files do not use the latest and fanciest features

or if you are doing anything with programming,

then Linux is great.

There is a further consideration: Linux offers a big variety of user-interfaces. That is
one of its intentions. Some "look" like Windows e.g., KDE. Others are lean and mean -- I
like Crunch-Bang Linux (abbreviated !#), which is very fast and lightweight. It runs
nicely on a very old machine with only 2GB of hard drive. There is also Ubuntu/Unity and
Linux Mint. All very good for what they do, but different in appearance (the chassis and
engine are the same).

I can provide disks for the distros mentioned, but installation should be discussed first.

JN