Re: [OCLUG-Tech] OCLUG AGM - discussing change

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012, John C Nash wrote:

> Location of meetings is always an issue for OCLUG. I personally
> would prefer more central choice. If folk have ideas, perhaps they
> could research them and either post or have ready for AGM
> discussion.

  finally digging out from under some work so i'll throw in my $0.02.
from a purely selfish point of view, i'd like to try something central
since i live in the byward market area and i can pretty much walk to
anything downtown.  however, i'm not proposing moving OCLUG so much as
i'm trying to figure out how to *expand* OCLUG into downtown to
perhaps appeal to a different market.

  i've been chatting with ian graham at the code factory and he's keen
on trying to start something with me there, we're just not sure
*what*.  and here's where i'm going to be blatantly selfish again.

  a good part of my interest in trying to get something going downtown
is to market my training, which means trying to appeal to a more
focused demographic.  i'd like to try organizing meetings at TCF for
*immediately* after working hours, to attract attendees just getting
off work who would simply go straight over to TCF, rather than going
home and getting comfortable, then grappling with whether they want to
go out again, especially if the weather is unpleasant.

  and given my interest, the people i'd be trying to attract would be,
say, IT professionals, mid-level managers, etc -- not to put too fine
a point on it, but people who might be potential students for courses
in the future.  and that would require being very selective about the
possible subjects for presentations.

  if that's the target audience, then i'd almost certainly avoid the
truly "geeky" topics for presentations.  i'd want to concentrate more
on (gasp! horrors!) the *business*-oriented aspects of linux, say, an
introduction to virtualbox and how to set it up, that sort of thing.

  i don't want to get too carried away here, i think you get my point.
if you work downtown, would this sort of thing appeal to you?  the
option to go to a linux-related presentation right from work, with
perhaps food and drink so that you don't starve. :-)  i'm just trying
to figure out what would most appeal to the downtown crowd.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca