Re: [OCLUG-Tech] National Captial Freenet

I am on NCF.  They are good peeps.  They are helpful, but they do not have
the staff to do lots of intensive tech support; you would do well if you
can do much of this yourself, perhaps.

I feel like I've had more issues than, say, I've seen my parents have with
Bell internet, in terms of outages, although they have a pretty good system
for letting people know what is going on etc, if you check out their site
and stuff.

I feel pretty sure I'm being throttled, with the issues I'm having with
certain sites, and I don't feel that NCF is very likely to do this, so I
wonder if somewhere else along the line I am having issues - network card
or OS or whatever are possibilities, but Bell owns the infrastructure, and
some sites might be routed through other bottlenecks/ control points, so I
was wondering if others might be throttling my connection sometimes, and my
guess was that it would be Bell.  They have been doing stuff to try and...
force the small providers to charge the same prices they do, to kill their
competitiveness, etc.

So I've been frustrated with ncf a few times, and some technical issues I
have not resolves still more than 6 months later, but I trust their
integrity much more than say Bell or Rogers, although I'm sure there are
many great employees who are helpful and personable on an individual level.

NCF also has forums so end users can help other end users, and its seems
like there is a  slightly higher than average amount of more technical
abled users using ncf, but that is just a basic impression I get... and I
feel like perhaps some amount of those users might be aware of social
justice issues, net neutrality, privacy concerns etc, and value trying to
get internet to people in a reasonable way.  I think ncf is also a
non-profit; I think this skews the motive in a good way, ie less intrinsic
drive to get more money for less service - if they can find a way to make
the service better and save money for everyone, they will; and when they
are doing well economically, they seem to reinvest in the system, etc (as
opposed to giving corporate ceos huge bonuses or vacations or something, I
mean).

If you have a strong technical support network, for instance your own
knowledge, oclug, etc, I would think ncf may have advantages that outweight
the challenges.

On the other hand, with changes in privacy laws, crtc and big com's pushing
for changes that may give them the advantage over the little guys, it may
be hard to say if the ncf will be able to stay competitive.

on the other hand, with the talk of censorship of the internet with things
like sopa and acta, the possibility of two-tiered internet and warrantless
spying by the government, and essentially the attempted criminalization of
political dissent by the Herpes err Harper Government, ie if you go to
certain websites you will be on a watch list and monitored, maybe certain
places like freenets will become more important, as hackers attempt to
create a secondary internet not so easily shut down/ re-routing capacities,
including putting up their own satellites and daisy-chaining routers, using
social networks like diaspora to access facebook to regain some control of
their own content... this may be the place to be.  Can't really say for
sure how things will go.  But apparently in places like Egypt and
elsewhere, the internet has been a playing field leveller... which might be
something which foreshadowed the clamping down on control of these things,
I donno.

Sorry, rambling.

If you want to host your own server, or use your own open source VOIP over
phone instead of have a phone line, NCF has some options too... I think
they call it 'dry' copper ($10 extra or so but you don't need to pay a
differnt company for a hardwired phoneline to get the internet, you can do
it through ncf basically) so yeah... more technical stuff you need to wade
through though... I had a room mate who explained some stuff before I tried
to wade into this, but I just use it to surf mostly.

MIchael Goguen