[OCLUG-Tech] Fwd: Re: Linux jobs - Java is number one skill

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Fwd: Re: Linux jobs - Java is number one skill
  • From: John C Nash <nashjc [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 11:27:09 -0500
Agreed. I was warning about making a long-term commitment of time and resources to an
ephemeral "need".

Figuring out how to satisfy the short term is an important issue. And today geophysicists
seem to have jobs again. As someone who was in the university education game, I found
there was constant effort to put in place "degree programs" that satisfied the short term.
It takes 4-5 years just to start a degree program, and another 4-5 to get the first
students out. This is now costing all of us a lot of tax $$$ to teach ephemeral skills,
and because of the funding model, many of the students will never be very good at any of
the things they are supposed to learn. Bad for them, and bad for us all.

I have had some experience with paired programming (extreme programming, other names), and
had a paper about to be submitted with Tim Lethbridge when such stuff was published by
others -- good ideas are rarely generated at one point only. My guess is that
organizations wanting to increase skills in XXXX, of which Java is just one example, could
do worse than hire folk who have demonstrated they can solve some programming/IT problems
and have them work alongside experienced folk for a bit. Much quicker and more focussed
than waiting for them to graduate. Moreover, along the way the organization can develop
their own style or standards.

JN