Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Linux jobs - Java is number one skill

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Linux jobs - Java is number one skill
  • From: Martin Hicks <mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 11:18:40 -0500
2011/12/16 Jean-François Bilodeau <jfbilodeau [ at ] chronogears [ dot ] com>

> ps: As for avoiding to work at McDonalds, I think it comes down to
> marketing you skills more than your diploma.

I also think it has a great deal to do with what you learned on your own
time.

I graduated from university in 2002, as the tech market was pretty bare.  I
was in computer engineering and there were plenty of student peers who
enrolled in 1997/98 to "chase the money" that you could make as an
engineer.  I had lots of friends go off and do non-engineering jobs or
enroll in a M.A.Sc. program because they couldn't get a job in their field.

Knowledge of Linux, as well as an interest in kernel-level programming,
gave me a skill set that has never failed to keep me employed.

mh

--
Martin Hicks P.Eng.      |         mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org
Bork Consulting Inc.     |   +1 (613) 266-2296