[OCLUG-Tech] RISCy Raspberry and the ARM Revolution: Part Deux

I've been intrigued by the prospects of low power computing for providing essential network services at home. I had enquired about plug computers in the past (say, am I just daft or is searching the mail archive impossible without opening each archive individually). Applause to those that steered me away from a tonido plug at the time (I don't recall if it was John or Robert, but it was solid and perhaps even sober advice :-)

Yet the ARM Revolution continues.

Due out next month is the Raspberry Pi (see www.raspberrypi.org ). It's a 700MHz ARM RISC SoC with an hdmi out serviced by a broadcom gpu (m'eh, I take it they're inexpensive, but not "open" or free as in freedom).  It's all very ordinary until you get to the power consumed (<1W) and the price: $25 for the bare bones base model; $35 for twice the ram, and 100baseT Ethernet on board.

And it's looking like Debian is going to be the out-of-the-box distro (hooray, my kinda distro).

I'm going to admit to wearing rose colored glasses on this one. I've totally got stars in my eyes for the raspberry pi. It's not going to be full featured (there's forum talk about open kintect projects; I'm very skeptical about the Shared USB and Ethernet architecture providing the necessary bandwidth for such applications), but connected to an arduino board and serving up status web pages on automation projects, modest machine vision, clustering, and the all out fun for the dollar seems unmatched.

Thoughts?  Any other Raspi fans out there in OCLUG land?

Sent from a locked proprietary device. I'm working on my freedom and I'll be there one day.