Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Throwing a Linux Event for Students, would you like to attend?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Throwing a Linux Event for Students, would you like to attend?
  • From: John C Nash <nashjc [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 10:58:41 -0400
Some of the people teaching 1306 (to call them Profs would be an exaggeration, as many are
contract teachers, mostly part time and not qualified for academic appointments, though
often quite dedicated) have been heard to insist on the use of M$ stuff.

In the Telfer School, my own policy was to ask pointedly that students NOT be required to
buy any particular software. We used Minitab as the "base" tool in the statistics course,
but I made sure students knew that they only had to be able to interpret the output, and
could use things like R or Octave for their computations. Further, that while students
might be asked to submit material in .doc or .xls, since unfortunately many offices
require the use of such formats, how they prepared them should not be prescribed. For my
own courses, I used pdf as means of submission, and provided copious information on how it
could be prepared without buying Acrobat.

JN