[OCLUG-Tech] My 1st BLUG meeting

Having moved from Ottawa to beijing in July, i was eager to find a LUG group
here and I found one!b I am just back from my 1st meeting of BLUG, the
Beijing Linux User Group (http://www.clubbeautiful.com/) and I think this
mini "report" will interest you.

The meeting was held in a Russian restaurant where people (a crowd of about
40 tonight) eat and drink while listening to the talks. The crown is half
Chinese, half foreigner and the talks and Q&A are all in English. The talks
are not targeted at beginners but at serious geeks.
Tonight we had 2 talks:
The 1st one was about the effort that taobao.com (the "Chinese Ebay") puts
into kernel development. They focus of 3 fields: high memory load
(64-128GB), high-io loads and high performance NIC. Taobao.com aims at being
in the top 100 contributors of patches to the kernel. See
http://code.taobao.org/
The 2nd one was about how China is working on a "national CPU" (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loongson) that will free them of Intel and AMD.
Linux is already running on this CPU.

That's all for now!

Charles