[OCLUG-Tech] How to root my Nexus S gingerbread phone for OpenVPN

Having recently acquired a Nexus S phone I'd like to root it so I can install OpenVPN among other things. I'm running the latest version of gingerbread, 3.4.3

I'd like to run an OpenVPN client for which I'll install a server for, on my linux server.

I expect someone on the list has already rooted their phone...? I'd welcome any pointers to trustworthy and proven sites, instructions and downloads for this task. I'm not too worried about bricking the phone. But I do worry about installing a trojan, because I know nothing very little about the Android world yet. I've seen a number of instructions on the web but don't know which sources to trust.

I'd also be interested in hearing of anyone else's fav sites for Android development and hacking.

And if I wanted to run PPTP or L2TP/ipsec, any recommendations on which one is least hassle to set up a server for (ubuntu)?

Thanks :-)

Brett