Re: [OCLUG-Tech] strange interaction of wireless

On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 14:00 -0400, John C Nash wrote:
> I'm at a scientific workshop in Santa Barbara.
>
> One of the scientists had to get his machine replaced a couple of weeks ago. Quad
> processor Dell Latitude E6410 running Ubuntu 11.04.
>
> While at the hotel, he could run some fairly fancy statistical models that compile C++
> (the tool is called AD Model Builder). But at the scientific institution (NCEAS), things
> crashed. He spent a lot of time trying to fix things until I suggested turning off
> wireless (not just disconnect).
>
> Has anyone seen any such strange happening.\? We suspect possible h/w issue or maybe a
> driver bug.
>
> Cheers, JN

There are known issues with linux and wireless on this system. I have a
friend with the same model who had a similar problem (wireless
continually connecting/disconnecting and then freezing). There is a fix
for it which involves updating the system firmware. You'll have to do a
google search to find it. I believe it's somewhere on the Dell website
as well.

Hope this helps.