Re: [OCLUG-Tech] ipv6 - the rest of the story

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] ipv6 - the rest of the story
  • From: Rob Echlin <rob [ at ] echlin [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 14:40:17 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Bart,
What I was thinking was that IPV6 means more than just setting up your servers and your home routers differently.
The IPV6 conference, I think, was focused on the fact that we have to go there because of the numbers.

There is more to IPv6 than a massive number space.
What else does IPv6 do for us?
What apps are going to give us more because they will be able to use IPv6?
What work will developers have to put in to make it happen?
Are there any apps out there now that can take advantage of the other parts of IPv6?

Maybe I am a couple of years too early. :-)
Or maybe there are games or collaboration tools out there now that will take advantage of IPv6.
There may be a killer app for IPv6 that will cause your business to implement it internally.
Whadaya think?

:-)
or maybe I'm utterly wrong and it's just a numbers game. At least today.
Anyway - just looking for cool themes for our meetings.

If IPv6 (after configuration) doesn't fly as a theme, we could definitely use your IPv6 network stack in a programming theme night.
Anyone wanat to talk about programming 'dbus'?
This is a programming topic that can be used at the command line level by fairly new command line users, including Eric.

;-)

Other cool themes welcome!

Rob