[OCLUG-Tech] ipv6 - the rest of the story

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] ipv6 - the rest of the story
  • From: Rob Echlin <rob [ at ] echlin [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:02:22 -0700 (PDT)
Hi
Topics for OCLUG presentations about IPv6?

Programming - Maybe we could add IPV6 to an evening of programming talks?

- If you program against IPv6, do you need to do anything different, or is it just the same?
- Is there anything we need to know about all those extra IP addresses and ports, as software developers?
- Any special libraries we should know about?
- Any different techniques for network based software?
- any more reserved ports or ranges under IPv6?

Software available
- is there any user-level software (desktop, server) that uses IPv6 in a different way, better way?
- Does it make it any different for a mail client, or server, or peer-to-peer software? Or anything else?
- Can I connect my Kmail client (for instance) to a mail server that's on IPV6?

Thanks,
Rob

--
Rob Echlin, B. Eng.