Re: [OCLUG-Tech] SECURITY ALERT: Phishing Attack (Fwd: Email Security Upgrade)

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] SECURITY ALERT: Phishing Attack (Fwd: Email Security Upgrade)
  • From: Bill Strosberg <oclug [ at ] strosberg [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 12:06:00 -0400
Shawn H Corey wrote:
On 11-07-08 08:36 AM, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:
Even if I am my own system administrator?!?

Even if I don't even have an account with said institution?!?

Even if I've already received thousands of such emails already?!?

<sarcasm>I'm sorry I ruined your day by post an alert about email phishing. After all, since you know everything there is to know about security, why would anyone else on this list be interested in it?</sarcasm>

Such rudeness is not appreciated. Please refrain for doing so in the future.

Shawn:

It would behoove you to take the time to get to know who you are giving etiquette lessons to on line. Richard is a founding Board member of OCLUG, and accomplished Linux kernel programmer and a generally nice guy. Your post, while well intentioned earned a little teasing because such emails have been rattling around the Internet for ten years. Your post is like alerting people to the risky presence of the common cold in large crowds.

Richard was perhaps trying to let you know gently that a majority of people on this list are professionals that have been dealing with these issues long before phishing got a cute name. Worry more about what you write than that of others.

--
Bill Strosberg