Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Just in case this happens to you

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011, Eric Brackenbury wrote:

> This Saved the Day so it works, When    /sbin/init could not be found
> by the computer.
>
> >From the above link:
> <
> Re: Kernel Panic after updates - /sbin/init
> ok, problem hopefully solved - I am typing this from my Ubuntu
> installation, not the LiveCD.
> I did the following from the LiveCD though.
> First, I mounted my installation at /mnt using
> Code:
>
> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
>
> Then, I opened Nautilus as root
> Code:
>
> gksu nautilus
>
> Then , i browsed to /mnt/sbin/init, opened its Properties>Permissions
> and selected Allow Read and Write for user root. Also, checked off the
> Allow Running File as Program box.
> Then, browsed to /mnt/etc/init,, opened Properties of the entire
> folder> Permissions and selected Allow Read and Write for user root
> and clicked on Apply Permissions to Enclosed Files.
> Then simply rebooted and it worked.
> Note: One of the two steps might be unnecessary, but I am not going to
> Last edited by nightshade209; August 17th, 2010 at 03:06 PM..
> >

> I am grateful to those who have got me far enough into CLI to
> implement this sort of thing and understand what I just did !
> And if your reading this you know who you are.
> Kindest regards
> Eric

  not to be overly pedantic, but please don't top post -- it makes
reading your post unnecessarily confusing.

  as to the issue you ran into, i suspect a simpler solution would
have been to override the invocation of the init program by using
"init=/bin/sh" at the grub boot line.  that option causes the kernel
to skip executing /sbin/init in favour of whatever executable you put
there.  i haven't verified it but i'm guessing that if you boot
straight to a shell, you can change the properties of whatever files
you want in the root directory, includind the permissions on
/sbin/init or whatever else you want.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca