Re: [OCLUG-Tech] OCLUG Job Contribs?

To clarify, I don't feel positions I've applied for where bad matches
in the past.  All have been valuable experiences and I feel the local
market has high-value consulting and career opportunities where there
is a good level of competence both by employer and hires.  However
could this process be stream-lined to ensure the maximum common gain,
business benefit and targeted career satisfaction?

I know one interview I attended for a company I did not get hired at a
while back had a huge amount of Cisco questions in their test.  This
was quite helpful, as I don't want to get on to a job with
expectations for IOS guru where I've been primarily netfilter/PF
and/or iptables.   Just don't put me in a PROD environment and ask me
to type IOS commands, because I don't do Cisco and perhaps will not
use IOS for a long time, even though there are now embedded network
switches in various virtualization products.

To me, vendor neutrality is important, so I wouldn't mind if such
"all-in-one" solutions, offered modules for other network equipment
vendors.  For instance, what if in an all HP shop, a new
virtualization infrastructure calls for an embedded switch to service
virtualized infrastructure?  I would say then that you should be able
to use your existing investment in HP switches, or Juniper, rather
than have to make it all the same vendor.  This is where network
devices built on Linux excel, they can provide a NOS which allows
multiple firewall solutions including now even PF!  Michael Lewis had
a syndicated article which showed how Cisco products where not
delivering and simple PF-band-width shaper fixed-up the deal overnight
for a application service provider.  That is an excellent story for
vendors of Linux-based network equipment as ip-tables and PF firewalls
can be very strong-provided they have the appropriate optimizations
and management interface.  So soon, people who know Linux firewalls
could be implementing complex network rules for the Enterprise /
data-centre market.  That would be nice.

I think the idea of an Open Source Nexus compatible software switch
would really make certain Linux based Virtualization solutions fit-in
to the market.  Personally, I have not investigated this area, but
would think it nice to see interop between vendors of switching gear
in this area as well as in routing standards.  The key is not to upset
a certain powerful vendor of network gear manuf. or to infringe on
existing patents.  The Internet is good at solving such standards
development challenges.  It will be a sigh of relief for peoples
careers to when they don't have to learn 16-vendors of different
network gear, but can stick with their existing training.

- AF