Re: [OCLUG-Tech] OCLUG Job Contribs?

> I think we would have to comply with the terms and conditions
> of such web sites

I agree.  My original email was intended to suggest simply, that jobs
which are located by members and found of interest to the group, could
be further advertised here on the OCLUG board, rather than by feed
aggregation.

> I'd be surprised if they allowed for automated
> retrieval like this, however nice it might be to get this info
> in concise, advert-less form.

I think the idea of advert-less listings, differentiates the OCLUG job
list in terms of semantic purity of the content.  The listings contain
only that information which was deemed applicable to local job
opportunities having been presented to the group, rather than "search
results", for example based on the keyword 'Linux'.

I have seen such "meta-job boards" out in the wild.  However, the
fundamental question is one of semantics, do external job listings
belong in a group-specific feed?  In the past, I think I have seen
similar listings across multiple boards, but that doesn't necessarily
mean they will all have been listed in common to OCLUG.  This is where
the group and membership add value, in making classifications and
recommendations, technical or otherwise that are cardinal to the
subject matter, rather than simply related to Linux.

Rather than pollute the original intent of the job listings here
(which might have already undergone review), perhaps there should be a
second category. If people here don't really care that much and would
like to see contributed posts which link back to the origin job site,
then the click-through is similar to a search engine sending people to
the original listing with adverts included.

While the existing infrastructure is already working the way it is, I
always have these futuristic ideas:

One of the points listed in the original ticket was specifying
skillsets for members (as volunteered, so that they claim certain
skills) - so if that is done in free-form text so be it.  But if XML
was applied, perhaps individuals could be auto-matched to positions
based on the SAGE/admin category they belong in, or have tested
against through some sort of "skill-testing question sets".

This could at their option be extracted from the LPI test they take
and anonymized so that no-one feels left-out, but it could apply to
vocation-specific topics such as "Oracle installs", "Drupal" or
"volume management", "linux firewall" and made so that the group could
help qualify members for recruitment using confusion-proof aptitude
tests.   Because I am not an HR/corp/testing guy, I will leave it for
keener to figure out how to maximize the Linux/admin resource pool.
On a personal level, I still have certifications to obtain, but might
qualify for a lot more than I am currently certified for, once I take
the tests.

In certain cases, the worst possible outcome in applying for a
position is for someone to consider you knowledgable in something you
are not or vice-versa, though it would be nice to not have candidates
shot down but rather provided a chance to obtain specific skills, such
as GFS clustering or Linux RAID.  These are all excellent examples of
things that are transferrable knowledge, that generous people could
share or that could make  courses.  Some of the local training
companies already provide RedHat certified courses for these topics,
but what about more general tools and specific Open Source products
which are good topics for future meetings?  Perhaps there is a way to
gage the level of understanding to enable local talent to move toward
specific goals, or be recognized by all the staffing/recruiter types.
Keywords on job-boards is good, but not always concise, even if you
strive to present yourself in an honest fashion.

For instance, I know nothing of Oracle Clustering, but some resources
are able to deliver on their previous experience or vocational
training.  Because my resume mentions Oracle as something I've done on
a previous job, a recruiter may think I am a good resource to present.
for a large Oracle install.  While such could present opportunities
for those looking to branch-out in their career and they will likely
excel on the job when hired, I don't like to mis-represent my
expertise.  It would make me nervous to be responsible for an Oracle
cluster when my I don't have formal training and I am primarily a
PostgreSQL/mysql guy.

Think Geekcode for Linux (troving):
A simple Wiki entry could put keywords for topics-of-interest for
members here.   After-all, a local group such as this is already needs
met with site that doesn't cost a lot in terms of additional
HR-centric effort, but a big job board probably has all that schema
hidden some-where behind the web-based listings these days.  Most
likely, people will just show up to the events and the presentations
they are interested in and apply for positions they feel match their
skillset.  This is the current state-of-the art in job search - a very
organic process.  Networking and business seem to remain a human
function.

Thanks,
    Allan Fields
    Ottawa, On

In some ways you gotta feel sorry for the single man or entity who
filters a regions worth of information, and can only speak noise in
various combinations and permutations.  While some valid information
will undoubtedly remain in the channel: This is what in system-antics
we call "regulator overflow and fault-back", when the best efforts in
avoidance of noise have not guaranteed the channel remains free from
interference.  However, even a "retrograded regulator" can surprise
with interesting results and potentially useful information in the
specific outcomes.