Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Linux screenphone MeeGo

I've been keeping an eye on MeeGo for a while now. Today, the only
consumer device you can buy that will run Meego is the Nokia N900 (I'm
using one right now). However, the N900 comes OOTB with Maemo 5, not
Meego. There is a set of community-supported images to put MeeGo on
the N900, but the images lack the polish expected of an end-user
device; their target audience is clearly OS and app developers.

This summer, speculation is that we can expect the N950 (aka N9), a
Meego device from Nokia which will hopefully provide a solid hardware
upgrade path for N900 owners (fixing quibbles like GPS reception,
battery life, resistive touchscreen, fickle USB jack)

Intel has been tooting their own horn for some time now regarding
Meego, but have yet to walk the walk. There "should be" a "flood" of
Meego tablets powered by Intel any quarter now, if you believe their
PR folk.

The most interesting development I've seen for Meego is their IVI
(In-Vehicle Infotainment) effort. They're hoping to provide a
commodity open source OS well suited to IVI tasks, including
interacting with vehicle buses such as CAN, working with GPS
receivers, interacting with Bluetooth telephony systems, indexing and
playing music, etc. Meego IVI is slated to even use some libraries
from the old Linux ICE (In Car Entertainment) effort, which I think
really shows the strength of open source.