[OCLUG-Tech] [Fwd: Re: Distro Recommendations]

Shawn H Corey wrote:
I've upgraded by Ubuntu to 11.04. What a piece of junk. If this is the best Canonical can do, it's time to switch distro.

I'm looking for one that can do some development work. My favourite language is Perl, so it's got to be able to do that. Now, you're thinking all the distros come with Perl, so it's a minor point but I need to run the latest and greatest. Most distros come with Perl 5.10 (some still have 5.8) but I need to run 5.12 (stable) and 5.14 (beta).

Any recommendations?

The whole point of working with Open Source is that when things don't work as wish, you can fix it. Before you say "Why should I have to?" think a little about things.

Choosing a distribution based on supported versions of software is wrong. Build and install the versions you want, on top of the environment you like. Five years ago, your complaint about Ubuntu 11.whatever would have resulted in your receipt of a bushel of tomatoes via manual air shipping. People here have mellowed a lot since I was active.

./configure, make, make install was around long before apt-get or some such GUI nonsense.

Also, when it comes to development there is a lot to be said about stepping back from the edge and working with versions in wide distribution. Your installable base will be broader, and you won't force clients into the same problems you are now encountering.

YOU are the boss, not Canonical! Ain't their fault.

--
Bill Strosberg