Re: [OCLUG-Tech] [Fwd: Re: Distro Recommendations]

On 11-05-10 11:40 AM, Bill Strosberg wrote:
> Shawn H Corey wrote:
>> I've upgraded by Ubuntu to 11.04.  What a piece of junk.  If this is the
>> best Canonical can do, it's time to switch distro.
>>
>> I'm looking for one that can do some development work.  My favourite
>> language is Perl, so it's got to be able to do that.  Now, you're
>> thinking all the distros come with Perl, so it's a minor point but I
>> need to run the latest and greatest.  Most distros come with Perl 5.10
>> (some still have 5.8) but I need to run 5.12 (stable) and 5.14 (beta).
>>
>> Any recommendations?
>>

> The whole point of working with Open Source is that when things don't
> work as wish, you can fix it. Before you say "Why should I have to?"
> think a little about things.

I guess when you have been lulled into complacency by distro after
distro that just works flawlessly, something like Ubuntu 11.04 comes as
a rude shock.  I got burnt by 11.04 myself - rolled back my VM to 10.10
and will be rolling back my desktop when I get a chance.  Luckily I
haven't upgraded my main work machine yet.  The only place I like it and
continue to use it is on my wife's netbook, where unity actually helps.

Here is what I found was broken -

- random desktop crashes.  no logs, just likely an X crash, followed by
the login screen.  Annoyances apart, this is a big productivity killer

- major issues with Nvidia graphics (follow the threads/bug reports)

- on my desktop with an Nvidia Graphics card, I did not get the bootup
screen (though it did boot), and, more importantly, was not able to use
a VT (black screen when switching out of X) - though I could type
blindly and login, it just did not display anything

- On first boot, X came up with Unity, but nothing was clickable
(apparently a bug with the Nvidia 7300 series or something).  Switched
to the classic desktop

- copy on select is broken - it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.  I
haven't had time to figure it out yet, but its another productivity
killer.

And its the little things like this that are driving me nuts - are they
fixable?  probably.  Is it worth my time to dig into each one and fix
them - no.  I'd much rather go to a version that works or a different
distribution.

> Choosing a distribution based on supported versions of software is
> wrong. Build and install the versions you want, on top of the
> environment you like. Five years ago, your complaint about Ubuntu
> 11.whatever would have resulted in your receipt of a bushel of tomatoes
> via manual air shipping. People here have mellowed a lot since I was
> active.

agreed on this point - if you want/need specific versions of software,
you are better off installing them yourself than trying to find a
distribution that has those specific versions

> ./configure, make, make install was around long before apt-get or some
> such GUI nonsense.
>
> Also, when it comes to development there is a lot to be said about
> stepping back from the edge and working with versions in wide
> distribution. Your installable base will be broader, and you won't force
> clients into the same problems you are now encountering.
>
> YOU are the boss, not Canonical! Ain't their fault.

nope its not their fault (for coming up with a buggy, broken
distribution), and worst-case you can get your money ($0) back.  But
they are in the market to make an easy to use, slick linux distribution
and they have disappointed (me) tremendously with 11.04

--Raj.