Re: [OCLUG-Tech] any interest in a local kernel programming special interest group?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] any interest in a local kernel programming special interest group?
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 06:42:28 -0400 (EDT)
  as a short followup to my earlier note, i initially suggested
get-togethers over a lunch hour.  another possibility is *immediately*
after work.  the point is to do this for downtown people so it doesn't
require any additional travel.

  years ago, when i lived in calgary, a number of us in the UNIX
community had a regular friday after-work "nerd beer" at the same
place.  calgary was a convenient place for this sort of thing as it's
a heavily-concentrated downtown, so it was trivial for we nerds to
simply finish work on friday at around 5 pm, then congregate at a
local bar right on 7th ave and talk shop for a couple hours before
heading home.

  i want to try something like that here.  ottawa also has a
concentrated downtown, but the downside is that it also has all that
tech out in kanata so it wouldn't work for *those* folks.  but i'm
hoping there's enough downtown interest for this.

  and, again, the whole point is that this should be informal.  i
don't want to start an official group, with bylaws and minutes, and
rigourously-scheduled monthly presentations.  it's not meant to be
like OCLUG; it's meant to just be a bunch of folks getting together to
talk kernel programming on a regular basis.  because there are times
when i really want to be able to ask questions and have someone else
provide the answers.

  anyway, that's the suggestion.  and it's not like these meetings
need a massive turnout to be worth it.  heck, 2 or 3 people would be
fine if the end result is that everyone there ends up really
understanding a particular kernel programming topic after it's over.

rday

p.s.  and nothing says that we need to *always* have a meeting over
lunch, or after work.  perhaps a mixture.  a few days notice and
whoever shows up, that's fine.